Holiday: A sightseeing holiday

Holiday: A sightseeing holiday

Many people go on a sightseeing tour of a town. They can also go on a tour of the castle/ the catedral/ the art gallery/the museum/ the palace/ the temple. When you are sightseeing, it helps you to buy a guidebook and a map of the town you are in. This way you can visit all the statues, fountains, markets  and squares of the city. Sometimes it’s worth renting a car.

When you are on holiday, you can do lots of things:
·         look around the shops
·         take photographs
·         spend money
·         buy souvenirs
·         get lost
·         go out most evenings
·         have a good/great time

11. Try to guess the meaning of the previous words in bold


Describing places

·         Venice is beautiful but it’s always packed with tourists in the summer.
·         New York is very cosmopolitan.
·         Vienna has lots of historical monuments.
·         Many beautiful cities have become very touristy.
·         Sao Paolo is a really lively place and the night-life is fantastic.

22. Try to guess the meaning of the previous words in bold.


33.  Complete this postcard that John sent to his family while he was on holiday.
Hi everyone, I’ve been in Paris for almost a week now and I’m having a ________________ spent the first few days _________________ - The Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, and all the usual tourist attractions. Most places are absolutely ______________ with tourists (it’s the time of the year I suppose), so yesterday I decided to have _______________ round the shops and I bought a few _______________. Today I’ve been to a couple of very interesting art _______________. I got _________________ on my way back to the hotel but it didn’t matter because I discovered a really fascinating ________________ with lots of little stalls selling just about everything from apples to antiques.
I ate in the hotel the first night but usually I __________________ and have dinner in a restaurant – the food is fantastic. I’m afraid I’ve ______________ a lot of money but it’s a great place and I’ve _______________ lots of photographs so you’ll be able to see for yourself when I get back home on the 4th. See you then, John



44.  Speaking and Writing Time!

Now it’s time to write or speak about one city that you have visited or you can plan a holiday in a sightseeing city.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)