Holidays: Accomodation

Holidays: Accomodation


Where you can spend a holiday

Camp site: a place where you can pitch a tent or park a caravan.
Self-catering flat: flat which you rent, you cook for yourself.
Guesthouse: accomodation like a hotel but cheaper and with few services.
Youth hostel: cheap accomodation, mainly for Young people, with, perhaps, ten or more people sleeping in bunk beds in one room.
Holiday camp: a place providing holiday accomodation in little chalets or flats, with restaurants, bars, swimming pools and lots of other facilities and entertainment.
Time-share apartment: accomodation which one owns, say, a 26th part of and so has the right to stay there for 2 weeks every year.

11. Try to guess the meaning of the previous words

Types of hotel accomodation

A single room
A double room
A twin room
Full board
Half board
B&B


A visit to a hotel

We stayed  in the Carlton Hotel for four nights in August, but I booked our room three months in advance because it was the middle of the tourist season. When we arrived we checked in at reception, then the porter carried our suitcases up to our room. I gave him a small tip – about 50p, I think. The staff were friendly – we had a very nice chambermaid – and the room was very comfortable. The only problem we had, in fact, was with the shower which didn’t work very well.

22. Try to guess the meaning in bold that appear in “Types of hotel accomodation” and “A visit to a hotel”



Useful words and expressions

·         Could I book a room for next Thursday?
·         I’d like to book a double room with a cot. I’d like a room with a shower and a view of the sea.
·         Are you fully booked next week?
·         Is breakfast included?
·         What time do you serve breakfast?
·         Could I have an early morning call at 7 a.m., please?
·         Is service included?
·         Could you put it on my bill, please?
·         Could we have dinner in our room, please?
·         The air conditioner in our room isn’t working.
·         I’d like an extra pillow, please.
·         What time do you like rooms to be vacated by?
·         Sorry to bother you, but…
·         Excuse me, how do I get to the underground station from here?
·         Could you order a taxi for me to go to the airport?

3 3. Put the sentences in a logical order.
1.       I paid my bill.
2.       I checked in at reception.
3.       I left the hotel.
4.       I went up to my room.
5.       I spent the night in the hotel.
6.       I had an early morning call at seven o’clock.
7.       I booked a room at the hotel.
8.       I went out for dinner in a local restaurant.
9.       I arrived at the hotel.
10.   I got up and had a shower.
11.   I had breakfast.
12.   I tipped the proter who carried my luggage upstairs.

44. What would you say in these situations?
·         You want to book a room for a couple with a small baby.
·         You have to wake up early for an important meeting.
·         You want to go to the nearest bank but don’t know where it is.
·         You have a drink in the hotel bar. The barman asks how you want to pay.
·         When you turn on the shower in your room and the water comes out very slowly.

·         You want to stay in a hotel for three nights next week with your husband/wife anf you phone the hotel.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)