Behaviour (Idioms)

Behaviour


1. Try to guess the meaning of the following idioms:

IDIOM
MEANING

Ann often looks straight through you, but I think it may be because she’s short-sighted.



I’m sorry I’m leaving you in the lurch, but I’ve got to get to a meeting by 10 a.m.



The teacher will give me a tough/hard/rough time if you don’t finish the book.



Rolf’s been trying to keep a lid on his emotions, but every now and then  his anger erupts.



Sophie used to be so elegant, but now she’s really let herself go.



The newspaper have blown the dispute out of all proportion.



2. Which of these sentences describe positive and negative behaviour?
  • Mark looked straight through me when I walked into the hall.
  • Rachel left me in the lurch as she usually does.
  • Sam has really let himself go since his wife died.
  • Rita's husband has blown the argument out of all proportion.
  • It'll be great to be able to let ourselves go once term ends.

3. Time for writing and speaking!!
Answer the following questions as you prefer, writing or speaking:

  • Have you ever been left in the lurch? If so, when?
  • Has anyone ever given you a rough time? If so, why? 
  • Have you ever blown a dispute out of all proportion? If so, why?
  • Do you know someone who has itself go? If so, who and why' 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)