Everyday Problems (Vocabulary Part I)

Things that go wrong in houses and flats



  • The lights are not working; there must be a power-cut.
  • Oh no! The bathroom's flooded! Get a mop, quick!
  • The kitchen door-handle's come off.
  • The batteries have run out. I'll have to get some more.
  • The washing machine broke down the other day. I'll have to wash by hand.
  • Oh dear! This chair's broken. I wonder how that happened?
  • This pipe's leaking.
  • I'm sorry, your cup's chipped.


1. Try to guess the meaning of the previous words.






2. What do you think happened to make these people do/say what they did?
  1. We had to send for a plumber.
  2. I had to call out our local mechanic.
  3. Our neighbours let us their washing machine.
  4. Come here and I'll put a plaster on it.
  5. How many batteries does it take? I'll get some for you.

3. Speaking Time!!
What would you do if...
  • you noticed your guest's glass was chipped? 
  •  one of your coat-buttons came off? 
  •  your TV set broke down? 
  •  your watch was slow?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)