Idioms (Experience and Perception Part I)

Learning from experiences

  • I've decided to put it down to experience instead of being upset. It's the best option to avoid the same mistake.
  • I just want to know where I stand for him, that's all. I don't know his feelings.
  • Your suggestions have certainly given me food for thought. Thank you for your help.
  • I've learnt my lesson. I will never let it happen again.
  • I hope that wll teach her a lesson and she'll never want to do it again.
  • Finally he's got the message  and he is not going to do again.
  • I saw your boyfriend with another girl. I just want to set/put the record straight.


1. Try to guess the meaning of the previous idioms related with learning from experiences







2. Complete the following conversations using an idiom:
Martin: "Well, Luke has finally learnt that he can't expect everyone else to pay form him."
Philip: "Yes, I think he's_________________________________"

Gerry:" Well, Anne will certainly learn never to do that again!"
Sheila: "Yes, that should definitely_________________________________"

Will: "His suggestions are worth taking seriously, aren't they?"
Nick: "Yes, they've certainly given us__________________________________"

Frances: "Well, I think we were right to tell he what really happened, don't you?"
Carol: "Yes, it was important to____________________________"


3.  Time for writing and speaking!!
Answer the following quesstions as you prefer, writing or speaking:
1. Think of an occasion when you learnt your lesson.
2.  Think of something which happened to you that you decided to put down to experience.
3. Have you ever been in a friendship or relationship where you had to say 'I need to know where I stand'? What was the situation? 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)