Charlotte Uhlenbroek (Reading)

Read the following text and answer the questions below.


Charlotte Uhlenbroek 


Dr Charlotte Uhlenbroek recently returned to London after filming her second series, Jungle. It was a difficult, 19-week trip, during which she explored the rainforests of Borneo, the Amazon and the Congo, travelling around using a variety of means of transport, including hot-air balloons and canoes. ‘I’m interested in the way animals communicate with each other. It was sometimes dangerous making the programme – I even went swimming with piranha fish. But the worst thing was the insects. On one occasion I had 70 sandfly bites on my arm. Luckily I didn’t get sick. I prefer not to take tablets every day, but if I get a fever I take some medicine immediately.’

Filming the series was exciting, but also frightening at times. Her most challenging experience was climbing a 100-metre tree in Borneo, as she has a great fear of heights. ‘I had to keep pulling myself further and further upwards. All I wanted to do was get down again. Suddenly the safety equipment didn’t look very strong and I thought that my ropes would break and I would crash to the ground.’

What did she enjoy most about returning to London? ‘When I’ve been away in hot uncomfortable conditions for a long time I dream about an ice-cold drink and my bed at home! But the thing I look forward to the most is nice long showers. There wasn’t much water in some of the places we visited and I worried that I was using it all up and not leaving any for my colleagues on the camera team!’


1 What is the writer doing in this text?
A giving information for visitors to the rainforest
B describing how animals in the rainforest communicate
C reporting an interview with a television presenter
D giving advice about travel health

2 When does Charlotte take medicine on her travels?
A whenever she goes into water
B if she has a high temperature
C every day to prevent illness
D if she is bitten by insects

3 Charlotte found climbing the tree in Borneo so frightening because
A she hates being in high places.
B she was unable to get down.
C her equipment suddenly broke.
D she slipped and fell to the ground.

4 What does Charlotte miss most when she is away filming?
A air-conditioning
B an unlimited water supply
C a comfortable bed
D iced drinks

5 Which best describes the TV series Jungle?
A The forest floor has thousands of different insects – let Charlotte Uhlenbroek be your guide to these fascinating creatures.
B Making her first television appearance, Charlotte Uhlenbroek explores some of the wildest places on earth.
C Charlotte Uhlenbroek looks at ways in which the animals of the rainforest manage to live beside their human neighbours
D Insects, piranha fish, hot-air balloons – it’s all in a day’s work for Charlotte Uhlenbroek in her latest series.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)