Phrasal Verbs (Decisions and Plans)

If...

Someone offered you money for your nike but you weren't sure if you wanted to sell it or not.

You could...

- spleep on it.
- decide to take the monet and do without the bike.


If...

You were offered a good job in a town far away from where you live

You could...

-weigh up the pros and cons.
- run it by your parents or a good friend


If...

You were getting tired of paying rent to live in a flat.

You could...

- plan ahead and start saving money to buy a house.
- think ahead and consider how you would like to live in 10 or 20 years from now.


If...

Someone offered you the chande to invest all the money you've saved in a company they were starting.

You could...

- think it over and tell them your decision at a later date.
- think through the possible risks of giving all your savings away.


1. What is the meaning of the previous Phrasal Verbs in bold?





2. Rewrite these sentences using one of the previous Phrasal Verb, so that they keep the same meaning.
  • Think carefully about what I said and let me know tomorrow what your decision is.
  • Don't give me an answer now, wait until you decide what to do about ir and tell me tomorrow.
  • When I pack for a vacation, I try to think carefully about what might happen in the future and bring all items that I might need.
  • In making my decision, I had to think carefully the advantages and disadvantages involved before making a decision.

3. Complete this dialogue using verbs or particles from the Phrasal Verbs:
Rachel: Do you think you're going to take that job in New York, John?
John: Well, I've been thinking it _______ and trying to ________ up all the positives and negatives, but I'm finding it really hard to come to a decision. I've run it _______ the family but they all have different views. My younger child is really keen on the idea but the older isn't. My wife says we have to think________ and imagine how things would be for the kids when they're a bit older.
Rachel: So how long do they give you to ________ through all the implications and come to a decision?
John: Unfortunately, I have to make up my mind by next week.
Rachel: Well, why don't you ________ on it. Things might seem clearer in the morning.


4.  Answer these questions about yourself, using full sentences. You can do it writing or speaking.

  •  When you have an important decision to make in your personal or your professional life who would you usually run it by first?
  • If you are worried about a situation at work, do you usually think it over immediately or decide to sleep on it first?
  • You have enough money for only one of these - a special holiday or a car. Which would you prefer to do without?
  • In what ways do people plan ahead for their retirement?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)