Why I dislike computers (Use of English First)

Read the text below and look carefully at each line. Some of the lines are correct, and some have a word which should not be there. Correct the mistakes.

Why I dislike computers

Almost everyone says that computers are wonderful and that they are
changing our own lives for the better by making everything faster and
more reliable, but I'm not so much sure that this is the case.
The other day I was standing in a large department store until
waiting to pay for a couple of films for my camera when the assistant
announced that the computer which controlled the till it had stopped
working. I didn't think this was a big problem and I set myself off to
find another counter, but of course, all the machines are one part of
the same system. So there we were: a shop full of customers, money
at the ready, waiting to make our purchases, but it was quite clear 
that none out of the assistants knew what to do. They weren't allowed to
take our money and give to customers a written receipt, because the 
sales wouldn't then have been recorded on the computer system.
In the end, like with many other people, I left my shopping on the
counter and walked out. Don't you think so that's ridiculous? It would
never have happened before computers, and that, for me, is all the
problem: we are beginning to depend on these machines for so 
completely that we simply can't manage without them any more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)