Trojan War (Reported Speech)

Trojan War

Here you have some information about the Trojan War explained by its characters. In A you have the Direct Speech and in B you have the Reported Speech. Let's see how it works!

A. 'I love you, Helen, and I want you to come with me to Troy', Paris told Helen.
B. Paris told Helen that he loved her and he wanted her to go to Troy with him.

A. 'I'm going to attack Troy and get my wife back because she loves me best!' Menelaus told his brother.
B. Menelaus told his brother that he was going to attack Troy and get his wife back because she loved him bes.

A. 'We'll come with you to Troy and get your wife back', the Greek heroes told Menelaus.
B. The Greek heroes told Menelaus that they would go with him to attack Troy and get his wife back.

A. 'We've been fighting here for nine years and we want to get back to our families,' the Greeks said.
B. The Greeks said that they had been fighting there for nine years and they wanted to get back to their families.

A. 'I'm going to take some soldiers with me inside this wooden horse,' Odysseus told them.
B. Odysseus told them that he was going to take some soldiers with him inside that wooden horse.

A. 'My plan has worked, and the city is ours,' Odysseus told the Greeks.
B. Odysseus told the Greeks that his plan had worked and the city was theirs.



1. Can you find the changes that you have to make in the Reported Speech?






2.  Read the statement from a news conference held at an archaeological site. Then answer the questions using the Reported Speech.
'Good morning everyone, my name is Julia Richmond, and I'm the director of this dig. Thank you for coming to this news conference. First I want to explain how we found this site, and what we've been doing here. I'm sure you have read the publicity handout, so you know something about this. It's important to give you the latest information. Then I'm going to give a description of some of the interesting discoveries we have made here. I'll give you a general account of the project, and I'll show some slides of the site. Then there will be a chance for all of you to look at some fascinating objetcs. We've brought some of the more spectacular finds. They are waiting for you in the room next door, and you will be able to take photographs. You've been very patient. So now let's begin...'

What did the archaeologist say about...

  • her job?
  • finding the site?
  • the publicity handout?
  • the latest information?
  • interesting discoveries?
  • a general account of the project?
  • slides?
  • fascinating objects?
  • spectacular finds?
  • the room next door?
  • photographs?
  • being patient?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)