Words you may confuse (Vocabulary)

Similar sounds

  • This book is quite good.
  • My bedroom is very quiet.

  • If you lose something, you do not know where you can find it.
  • These trousers are very loose.

  • Yesterday I fell and broke my arm.
  • I felt ill yesterday, but I feel OK today.

  • This cooker costs $500.
  • He is a very good cook.


Similar or related meanings

  • Sam: Will you lend me your bicycle? Rita: Yes, of course, here you have.
  • Lucas: Can I borrow your car? Louis: Yes, of course. You can get it.

  • The passport officer checked my passport.
  • The mouse controls the computer.


Other words often mixed up

  • In English the afternoon is from about 12 o'clock till 5 or 6 p.m.
  • The evening is from 5 or 6 p.m. until about 9 or 10 p.m.
  • After 9 or 10 p.m., it is the night.

  • They're waiting for the bus.
  • I hope I pass my exams.
  • I have not studied; I expect I'll fail my exams.

1. Try to guess the difference between these words.



2. Let's talk!
  • Are you expecting any visitors today?
  • What do you hope to do with this book?
  • Do you borrow things from your friends? What things?
  • Would you lend your best friend €200?





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)