Linking Clauses (Use of English Advanced)


1. Finish the following sentences in such a way that it is as similar as possible to the given sentence:


  • Uncle Eric fell down the stairs a few years ago and hasn't felt right since.
Ever....

  •  We might as well go for a coffee as the film won't start for another hour.
Since...

  • As soon as solemn music started to play on the radio, I realised the President had died.
On...

  • The kids finished breakfast and ran to the beach.
Once...

  • You could give me a hand as you've nothing better to do.
Seeing...

  • Your comments on the hotel are valid as far as the poor quality of the service is concerned.
In that...

2.  Rewrite the following sentences using the word given:


  • I felt really ill and hadd to leave. (that)
  • It was a really boring film and I walked out half way through. (such)
  • If we don't get there soon there won't be any seats left. (otherwise)
  • Let's meet tomorrow to sort out any remaining difficulties. (in order that)
  • I took the country roads because I didn't want to get stuck in traffic. (so as)

3. Complete the text with on suitable word in each gap:

Human nature is a strange thing. This summer I worked for a man my family know to be pleasant, the type who'd agree to have coffee witth you even __________(1) he was terribly busy. Even __________ (2), he turned out to be the most impossible person to work for. ___________ (3) you do is always unsatisfactory, __________(4) hard you work and __________(5) matter how many hours of overtime you do, it's never enough for him. Despite __________(6) a quiet man, he manages to project such an aggressive image in his café. His employees try to do their best, out of fear or a genuine desire to do a good job, and __________(7) he tears them off a strip every hour of the day. You may think I'm exaggerating ___________(8) I'm not. During the height of the season he forced fivw waitresses to hand in their notice __________(9) though they were perfectly competent. All the __________(10), I carried on working there every evening. And he really missed the staff who left. __________(11), he'd never admit it. I didn't know what to do. __________(12) as I'd have liked to, I didn't think confronting him about his temper would work, __________(13) you might put that down to cowardice. Incredible __________(14) it may seem, in __________(15) of him, the café has a reputation for being a very friendly place. Strange, isn't it?






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)