Shopping for clothes (Reading)

You are going to read some articles about people who bought clothes in different ways. Choose the best option of them (it could be more than one) to answer the following questions:



A. Brad Stevens
I was food shopping in the big supermarket near here and I saw they were selling jeans at a ridiculously low price, so I thought I’d pick up a pair. Later when I remembered I had a job interview the week after, I realised I should have bought some formal trousers instead, but I suppose it was just one of those things you suddenly do when you see something going cheap. Even though I probably could have got them for less on eBay. Anyway, I spent quite a bit of time going through this great pile of jeans because all the different size were mixed up and they weren’t very clearly marked ‘large’ or ‘extra large’ or whatever. Eventually I came across a pair that seemed about my size and headed for the checkout. It was very slow there, and I got fed up standing in a line of about ten customers. Why they don’t open more checkouts at busy times I really don’t know.



B. Tania Ferreira
I was walking along the pavement looking for something new to wear when a sign in a shop window saying ‘cotton jackets 50% off’ caught my eye, so I went in. They didn’t have one in my size but said they could order it for me. A few days later they called me to say it’d arrived and I went back to the shop to collect it. It fitted me perfectly, but when I tried it on, I just didn’t take to the colour, a kind of grey-brown, and I said I’d prefer a lighter one. Again I had to wait, and again I went back to the shop. This time everything seemed fine, and I paid for it and took it home. After I’d worn it twice, though, I put it through the washing machine and was most upset to find it’d shrunk, despite the fact that I’d followed the washing instructions exactly. It was a waste of money, really.


C. Sara Desai
I saw a tall selling sweaters when I was wandering around my usual clothes market and there was such a wide range of lovely ones that I was spoilt for choice. In the end I made my mind up and I enquired whether they had a particularly attractive pale blue one in medium. The stall holder said they had. I couldn’t try it on there and then but I was sure it would fit me, so I paid and took it home. There I discovered that the sleeves were far too short so I had to take it back. That was annoying but the man on the stall quickly found me a large one for the same very reasonable price and that turned out to be just right on me. I’d wasted an hour or so travelling to and from the market, but I still wouldn’t dream of shopping for things like that anywhere else.



D. Ali Haddad
I’d picked up lots of things like books and computer games online, but that was the first time I’d actually got myself something to wear over the Internet. It looked like a really lovely shirt and the price was incredibly low, so I clicked on ‘Buy it now’, paid by credit card and waited for it to arrive. I thought afterwards that perhaps I should have emailed the seller to check the colour, because although it looked fine in the photo, it might not be exactly what I wanted. In the event I needn’t have worried, and I was absolutely delighted when I saw it. I would have got another one if I’d known how good it would look.



Which person....

1. was pleased with a replacement item?
2. regretted not buying a different kind of item?
3. was disappointed with the item after they had owned it for some time?
4. had difficulty deciding which to buy as there were so many attractive items?
5. became impatient while waiting to pay for the item?
6. is sure they got a bargain?
7. had not previously bought clothes that way?
8. had difficulty finding the riight item because of the labelling?
9. bought an item that was the wrong size?
10. asked the seller a question about the item before they bought it?
11. says they will always buy clothes in the same place?
12. had not intended to buy clothes there?
13. was in the street when they saw the item advertised?
14. wished they had bought more than one of the same item?

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)