Phrasal Verbs (Spending Time at Work)



Spending Time at Work



Audrey works as a nurse. When she starts work she has to clock on and when she leaves she clocks off. If the machine shows that she has worked an extra long shift, then she is able to take time off at a later date. She was planning to take a holiday in July this year but has had to bring it forward as July is going to be a particularly busy time for her hospital this year. Audrey loves her work but her hospital is understaff and she hates to always be pressed for time. She finds it almost impossible to fit in  time to talk to the patients although she feels that is an important part of her job. She can chat for a few minutes but then she has to press on with her other duties. The hospital employs many nurses from overseas; but when their work permits run out after two years they have to leave.


1. Try to guess the meaning of the phrasal verbs in bold related with the time you spend at work:







2. Complete these sentences with the correct phrasal verb:

  • I'm afraid I'm a bit ______________ for cash today. Could you lend me some?
  • Oh dear! My passport has _______________ out. I must renew it before our trip.
  • I usually ________________ on at 9 a.m. every day, but if my train is late it might be 9.15. I _______________ off at 5 p.m., but sometimes I can finish a bit earlier on Fridays.
  • Mr Chan wants to _______________ the meeting forward to this week as he's busy all next week. I'm not sure if we can _______________ it in this week as we're ever so busy too.
  • If we _______________ on after lunch we can probably finish the report by 5 p.m. 
  • I'm going to _______________ some time off next month and go and stay with my parents.

3.  Time for writing and speaking!
Now you can practice with your teacher and talk about your time at work.

If you prefer, you can also do a writing about your time at work or write different examples for these phrasal verbs. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)