Apologies, Excuses and Promises Expressions (Vocabulary)

Apologies

  • I beg your pardon, I didn't realise my chair was on your coat.
  • I'm so/very/terribly/awful sorry, I take your coat by mistake because it's very similar to mine.
  • I'm sorry to have kept you waiting, I got caught up in traffic.
  • Audrey I'm really sorry, I'm late. I won't be long.




Excuses

  • I'm sorry I'm late but I was delayed/ held up at the airport.
  • I'm sorry I'm late, but my train was cancelled.
  • I'm sorry to have kept you waiting, I got caught up in traffic.
  • Sorry I'm late; my alarm clock didn't go off.

Promises

  • I'm sorry about the mess in here, I'll clear it up.
  • I'm sorry about the confusion, but I'll sort it out.

1. Try to guess the meaning of the previous expressions.



2. What could you say in these situations?
  • You get on a bus at the same time as another person and he/she almost falls over.
  • You arrange to meet some friends in the centre of town but you are twenty minutes late.
  • You are unable to go to a meeting you arranged with a client at their office, and now you must write to them to explain.
  • Your company promised to send some information about new products to a customer last week. You still haven't sent the information and must now write to explain.

3. Make a role-game in which you use some of the previous expressions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)