Phrasal Verbs (Money: salaries, bills, payments)

Money

  • You can't take more than 600€ out in 24 hours.
  • The government is cutting back on the education budget.
  • Lend me ten dollars and I'll pay you back tomorrow.
  • The bill for the meal came to $86 all together.
  • I've been offered a chance to go to New Zealand next year. So I've started saving up already. I'm trying to set aside a fixed amount each month so that I'll have enough.
  • It was a terrible holiday. Everything went wrong. And it costs us $900, but U guess we'll have to just write that off. We won't get it back.
  • They were giving away free tickets at the Concert Hall today and I got one. Then I was in a bookshop buying a magazine and I picked up a book on Italian cookery at a knockdown price. It had been reduced from 20€ to 15€

Paying bills and debts

  • I won't pay off the mortgage on my house until 2024.
  • My tax bill has arrived. I have to pay up by 30 December.
  • My kids ran up a phone bill of $400!
  • I know I already owe you 20€. Can you lend me anothe 20 and I'll settle up with you when I get paid next week?

1. Try to guess the meaning of the Phrasal Verbs in bold.



2. Rewrite these sentences, using one of the previous Phrasavl Verbs so that they keep the same meaning.
  • The suspected criminal withdrew all the money from his bank account and has not been seen since.
  • As his girlfriend is in Australia, he has a huge phone bill every month.
  • The bill for the books we ordered totalled $40.85.
  • I lent him 100€ a year ago and he still hasn't repaid me.
  • Now that I've lost my job we're going to have to reduce what we spend on our weekly trip to the supermarket.
  • If you pay the restaurant bill with your credit card, I'll give you my share latter.

3. Let's Speak!
  • What, if anything, are you saving up for?
  • How much money do you usually take out at a cash machine?
  • What would you expect the bill for a night in a hotel in your country to come to?
  • Do you have any big debts and, if so, when do you hope to pay them off?
  • What sorts of things might you pick up at a flea market?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)