Phrasal Verbs (Describing Situations)

Describing Situations


Mary: It's such a cold day. I wish I could get out of the bike ride Jack's planned.
Bill: Why don't you suggest cancelling it? I'm sure the others would also prefer not to go in weather like this.

Sandy: I have identical twins, Flora and Florence, in my class - I always mix them up.
Mike: Yes, I muddle them up too. It doesn't help that their names are so similar. 

Meg: I really don't like sharing an office with Sue - she thinks the whole world revolve around her and her insignificant problems.
Anna: Yes, I know. I think she is one of the most self-centred people I've ever met.

John: We've been running up against quite a lot of problems here recently.
Rita: I know. As soon as we deal with one problem, another immediately crops up and I now feel I can't bank on things turning out well in the end.

Milly: The situation at work is so annoying at the moment! There's been a small mix-up of orders and everyone is making a great drama out of it.
Tom: Oh come on! You can rise above that. Just back off and let others handle things.

Robert: What does the news say about the island revolution?
Adrien: It says "Holidaymakers who were caught up last week in a revolution on the Caribbean island of St Maria have now returned home. The situation first hotted up when rebels seized the Presidential Palace. The returning tourists report that there were all thrown together in one of the largest hotels and were not allowed to leave until the situation calmed down."


1. Try to guess the meaning of the previous Phrasal Verbs related to describing situations.




2. Replace the underlined words with a phrasal verb.
  • I was in the capital city a month before the economic crisis exploded, but things were already beginning to become agitated and more intense even then.
  • He went to the country as a news reporter, but became unintentionally involved in the civil war which started shortly after his arrival.
  • I might never have met Ken, but we had no choice but to live and work together during our military service and we've been friends ever since.
  • The situation in Lostramia has become more paceful now, but it's still too dangerous to go there for a holiday.
  • Try not to get so involved. Let them sort it out.
  • You can't trust him to help you.


3. Let's talk!
Choose some of the previous phrasal verbs and use them talking about situations you have been in recently.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)