Reported Speech (Reporting Verbs & other forms)

1. Complete each sentence in reported speech.

  • 'Why don't we go for a walk?'
She suggested...

  •  'I wasn't anywhere near the scene of the crime.'
The accused claimed...

  • 'This spot is the best place for a picnic.'
My father said...
  •  'The swallows return every spring and fly past my window.'
She explained...

  • 'Can you answer the phone? I'm having a shower!'
He asked his son...
  •  'I gave you my homework last week.'
The boy insisted...

  • 'Could you come and pick me up from school today, dad?'
Billy asked...
  •  'If I were you, I wouldn't drink so much.'
He advised his friend...

  • 'I won't help you because you didn't help me.'
Joan refused...
  •  'I'll bring it back tomorrow.'
He promised...


2. Match the first part (1-10) with an appropriate reporting verb (a-j).

1. 'If you do that again, I'll leave,'                         a. she whispered.
2. 'I'm now going to read out the results,'             b. he answered.
3. 'Could you bring me the wine list?'                   c. she shouted.
4. 'Of course, I'll bring it right away,'                    d. she threatened.
5. 'Our team will easily beat yours,'                      e. she announced.
6. 'Please give me another chance,'                        f. she claimed.
7. 'Shhh! The baby's sleeping,'                               g. he asked.
8. 'I'm innocent of all the charges,'                         h. she begged.
9. 'First of all, you press the button,'                      i. he boasted.
10. 'Careful! The water's deep!,'                             j. he explained.



3. Change the following into indirect questions beginning with the words given.

  • Can I have some more pocket money?
The boy asked...

  • Where were you born?
She asked him...



  • How far is the stadium?
He wanted to know...

  • Are you still living in London?
She asked...
  •  Do you work in the central branch or in the provinces?
She asked him...







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)