Problem Tenses: Perfect

1. Finish each of the following sentences in such a way that it is as similar in meaning as possible to the sentence before it.

  • I've never had to work all through the night before.
This is_____________________________________________

  • Most of us became salesmen when we left university.
Most of us have______________________________________
  •  Our current manager started working here ten years ago.
Our current manager has_________________________________

  • I haven't heard from Sarah for a couple of months.
The last____________________________________________
  •  I used to find computers difficult before I started taking these lessons.
Since________________________________________________

  • Michael Owen is the best player I've seen so far in this competition.
I've yet_______________________________________________


2. Tick the sentences that are correct. Correct those that are not.

  • Do you think Vicky's always known the truth about us?
  • That's been the second time you've forgotten to post something for me.
  • I haven't seen Peter since he begins seeing his new girlfriend.
  • Ever since we met, you never asked me what I prefer to do.
  • In all my life, I never spoke to someone who is quite so stupid.
  • I don't think Paul and Carol have seen much of each other of late.
  • This is the only occasion that I've seen him wearing a tie.

3. Cross out and correct nine errors in this extract from a composition.
Dear Sir,
 I had recently been on a two-week holiday with your company to the Island of Thassos.
I am sorry to have said that it was the worst holiday I've ever had. Over the years I went on many holidays to Greece, a country I have now come to know quite well. I think I can safely say that, until this year, all of those holidays were wonderful. For example, I have once spent six weeks on Crete, which I had not visited before. I had loved that holiday so much that I returned every spring for the last four years.
This year, however, was different. I honestly consider this to had been the worst holiday of my life. This is not the fault to Thassos: the fault lies entirely with your company whose inability to organise the simplest thing is quite unbelievable.
As both the outward and return fights have been delayed for several hours, there was nobody to meet us at the airport or transfer us to our hotel, and when we eventually did reach the hotel, we discovered it had been built over a mile from the beach. Reading your brochure carefully, we feel this was not what we have expected. 
 
 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)