Idioms (Experience and Perception Part II)

Perceiving situations

  • I heard it on/ through the grapevine that you're thinking of leaving the company. Is it true?
  • He doesn't hate you at all. It's completely untrue. It's just a figment of your imagination.
  • The Prime Minister seems to have lost sight of why she was elected. She's broken all her promises to the people.
  • What beats me is why people are prepared to sit in a traffic jam every morning for half an hour just to get to work.
  • I'm having second thoughts about moving house. I like this part of the city and I'm not sure I'd be happy anywhere else.
  • I don't know all the ins and outs of the situation, but it seems that David has decided to move out of the flat he shares with Ruth and Monica.

1. Try to guess the meaning of the previous Idioms in bold.



2. Answer the following questions:
  • Have you ever decided to do something, then had second thoughts about it? What was it?
  • Think of something you heard recently on the grapevine. What was it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)