Phrasal Verbs (Work Part II: being busy)

Being Busy

John:  I haven't seen you for ages. Have you been a bit tied up at work?

Lucas:  Yes, I've been incredibly busy. I was away for a conference and the work just piled up while I was away. I've been snowed under ever since. Although I slave away till seven at night and even work at weekends, I still can't seem to catch up with everything!

John:  Sorry, I asked!


1. Try to guess the meaning of the previous Phrasal Verbs.


Working hard

Roi:  How are things going for you at work at the moment, Lauren?

Lauren:  Well, we're branching out into a new product line - children's clothes -  so I'm pretty busy. At the moment I'm working out some new designs for leisurewear. We're working towards having a complete range for children of all ages. It's quite difficult but I'm sure I'll develop some good designs if I keep at it.

Roi:  Well, you always were good at sticking at things.

Lauren:  Well, I'd certainly rather do a project myself than have to chase up other people to make sure they're going what they promised to do. But sometimes you have to do that just to keep things moving along.

Roi:  Do you think you could squeeze in lunch with me sometime?

Lauren:  Mm, possibly, but not till next week.

Roi:  That's fine. But don't try to wriggle out of it at the last minute!


2. Try to guess the meaning of the previous Phrasal Verbs




3. In the following text, there are 7 mistakes with phrasal verbs. Correct them.
I ned to chase out Gerald's report so that we can keep things moving away with the European sales campaign. I know he's been working upwards the same goals as all of us to branch up into new markets in Europe, but he's not good at sticking for things and you need to keep in it with campaigns like this one.

4. Let's talk or write!
 Explain some situation at work or studying in which you were very busy. Don't forget to use some of the previous Phrasal Verbs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)