Linking Words (Time)

One thing before another

  • Before I went to work I fed the cat.
  • I had written to her prior to meeting the committee.
  • It was nice to be in Venice. Previously I'd only been to Rome.
  • I was in the office from 2.30. I was out earlier on/ before then.
  • The city is now called Thatcherville. Formerly it was Grabtown.

Things happening at the same time

  • While I waited, I read the newspaper.
  • As I was driving to work, I saw an accident.
  • I saw her just as she was turning the corner.
  • During the war, I lived in Dublin.
  • Throughout the war, food was rationed.
  • She was entering at the very time/ at the vey moment I was leaving.


One thing after another

  • After I'd locked up, I went to bed.
  • We went to the castle. Then we caught a bus to the beach.
  • First we went to the theatre. After that, we had a meal.
  • He fell ill and was admitted to hospital. He died soon afterwards.
  • Following my visit to Pekin, I bought lots of books about China.


Time when

  • When I'm rich and famous, I'll buy a yacht.
  • As soon as we've packed we can leave.
  • Once we've finished we can go and have a coffee.
  • The moment/ the minute I saw his face I knew I'd met him before.
  • I stayed in that hospital the time (that) I broke my leg.
  • I met Polly at Ken's wedding. On that occasion she was with a different man.


Connecting two periods or events

  •  The meal will take about an hour. In the meantime, relax and have a drink.
  • The new whiteboards are arriving soon. Till then, we'll have to use the old ones.
  • I last met him in 1986. Since then I haven't set eyes on him.
  • By the time I retire, I will have worked here 26 years.


1. Think of things that are true for you in these situations and complete the sentences. Add more sentences if you can.
  1. While I'm asleep...
  2. After I've eaten too much,...
  3. The moment I wake up, I...
  4. Throughout my childhood I...
  5. I'm doing vocabulary right now. Earlier on, I was...
  6. Once I've finished my language course, I'll...
  7. Before I go on holiday, I always...
  8. Following an argument with someone, I always feel...


2. Let's write! (Use the previous Connectors)
We wish to publish a collection of stories from our readers, all with the title THE DAY THAT DID MOST FOR MY ENGLISH .
If you have an interesting or amusing story which you would like to share with others, please send it to us as soon as possible 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)