Expressions of Time (Vocabulary)

Since and For

  • They haven't met since the wedding.
  • I haven't seen Eva for ages.

Over /During vs Since


  • Over/During the last eighteen months there have been three tax increases.
  • Since the middle of the last year there have been three tax increases.

From ... to/till/until

  • Dinner is from eight o'clock to  ten o'clock
  • I waited from ten till/until two.
  • I was training from ten o'clock.

From and Since

  • The minister was her from ten o'clock.
  • They've been here since ten o'clock.

For and During

  • He was with the company for forty years.
  • During that year he rose from deputy manager to managing director.

During or While?

  • We didn't see anybody during the holidays.
  • We didn't see anybody while  we were on holidays.

Ago, Already, Before, Still and Yet

  • I come to Rome exactly six months ago.
  • Is the taxi already here?
  • I went to the airport las Monday to meet Sue. I hadn't been to the airport before.
  • I've been to Rome several times but I still can't drive very well.
  • I haven't had breakfast yet.


1. Try to guess the differences between the previous groups of expressions of time.




2. Fill in the gaps with a suitable word.
  • It must be a month _______ we last had a meal together.
  • We haven't eaten together ________ about a month.
  • _________ her stay here she made a lot of good friends. 
  • ________she was staying here, she made a lot of good friends.
  • Dabizas was injured _______ the last minute of the match.
  • ________- several seasons Dabizas has never been seriously injured in a game.
  • _______ 1998, Dabizas has only been badly injured once on the pitch.
  • Do you know, I'd never been to Rome ________ our visit together.
  • Really? I've been there twice _______ this year.
  • If you go that often, do you ________ enjoy it?
  • Of course. However, I haven't been to Milan _______
  • Oh, I have. I went there about a year _______


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)