Phrasal Verbs (Conversations)

Conversations

  • I wish you wouldn't keep on at me about my handwriting! No-one else has problems reading it.
  • The best teachers don't talk down to pupils but speak to them as equals.
  • There is no point in trying to play down the incident -  too many people saw exactly what happened.
  • He's the most infuriating man - you can never pin him down to a date on anything.
  • Once Sally had had it out with Kim about the housework, things got much better.
  • Stop pretending that you've lost your sister's new jacket. It's not fair to wind her up like that.
  • Robert is always mouthing off about his boss behind his back, but he'd never say anything to his face.
  • Would you please shut up while I'm trying to concentrate on these papers.


1. Try to guess the meaning of the previous Phrasal Verbs



2. Read these remarks by different people and then answer the questions below by writing the correct name in the box.

George: I'm determined to have it out with my parents. We can't go in this way.

Dermot: My sister is always mouthing off about something. I wish she'd shut up.

Michael: I think they were trying to play down the whole affair.

Yolanda: The boss seems to have gone back on her word.

Yvette: Huh! My brother has owned up at last! It's about time!

Gina: I felt my roommate was trying to wind me up.

  • Who is annoyed because someone talks about subjects as if they know more than everyone else or someone complains a lot about something?
  • Who thought someone told them something that wasn't true in order to make a joke or to annoy them?
  • Who is going to talk to someone about something they have said or done that has made them angry, in order to solve the problem?
  • Who thinks someone is trying to make people believe that something is not very important or is not likely to happen?
  • Who is satisfied that someone has admitted they have done something wrong?
  • Who thinks someone has broken a promise to do something?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)