Work: duties, conditions and pay (Vocabulary)

What do you do?

  • What do you do?                     I'm a(n)...     ex: I'm a banker
  • What's your job?                     I work in (+ place or general area)     ex: I work in a bank
  • What do you do for living?     I work for (+name of company)     ex: I work for Union Bank

What does that involve?

When people ask you to explain your work/job, they may want to know your main responsibilities or something about your daily routine. They can ask like this: What does that involve?

Main responsibilitis
  • I'm in charge of / responsible for all deliveries out of the factory.
  • I have to deal with any complaints.
  • I run the coffe bar and restaurant in the museum.
Daily duties/ routines
  • I have to go to/ attend a lot of meetings.
  • I visit/see/meet clients.
  • I advise clients.
  • It involves doing a quite a lot of paperwork.

Pay

Most workers are paid every month and this pay goes directly into their bank account. It is called a salary. We can express the same idea using the verb to earn.

With many jobs you get holiday pay  and sick pay. If you want to ask about holidays, you can say: How much holiday do you get?

The total amount of money you receive in a year is called your income. This could be your salary from one job, or the salary from two different jobs you have. And on this income you have to pay part to the government - called income tax.


Working hours

For many people in Britain, these are 8:30-9:00 a.m. to 5:00-5:30 o.m. Consequently people often talk about a nine-to-five job. Some people have flexi-time; and some have to do shiftwork. Some people also work overtime. Some people are paid to do/work overtime, others are not paid.


1. Try to guess the meaning of the previous words.


2. Let's talk!
  • What are normal working hours for most office jobs in your country?
  • Can you name three jobs that get very high salaries in your country?
  • When you start paying income tax in your country, what is the minimum amount you have to pay?
  • What jobs often involve shiftwork?
  • Is flexi-time common in your company or your country?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)