Belief and Opinion (Vocabulary)

Verbs connected with beliefs and opinions

  • I'm convinced we've met before.
  • I've always held that compulsory education is a waste of time.
  • She maintains that we're related, but I'm not convinced.
  • I feel she shouldn't be forced to do the job.
  • I reckon they'll get married soon.
  • I doubt we'll ever see total world peace.
  • I suspect a lot of people never even think about pollution when they're driving their own car.

1. Try to guess the meaning of the previous verbs and the differences between them.



Phrases for expressing opinion

  • In my view/ in my opinion, we haven't made any progress.
  • She's made a big mistake, to my mind.
  • If you ask me, he ought to change his job.
  • From a teacher's point of view, the new examinations are a disaster.

2. Try  to guess the meaning of the previous expressions


Prepositions used with belief and opinions words

  • Do you believe in God?
  • What do you think of  the new boss?
  • Are you for or against long prison sentences?
  • What are your views on divorce?
  • I'm in favour of long prison sentences.
  • I have my doubts about  this plan.


3. Let's talk or write!
What do you think about the following topics? Don't forget to use any of the previous learned words.

  • Food preference
  • Learning English
  • Religion
  • Work 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)