Phrasal Verbs (Change)

Up meaning more or better

  • The number of students getting good marks in their exams is going up.
  • I was afraid no-one would come to my lecture, but the room is filling up nicely now.
  • Things were bad last week but the situation is looking up now.
  • Business was down at the beginning of the year, but is picking up now.
  • Would you like me to heat up the rice or will you have it cold?
  • Simon's been ignoring the situation for ages -  it's time he woke up to what's happening.
1. Try to guess the meaning of the previous Phrasal Verbs.


Other phrasal verbs

When I look back over the last year I see an awful lot of changes in my life. For instance at work, there has been an almost total changeover of staff in the office. Then during the year we have phased out all the old computers and phased in a completely new system of office administration. I wasn't sure how things would pan out at first and there were a few problems to begin with. However, the arguments about the new system blew over quite quickly.


At the beginning of th year, my girlfriend left me and it took me a while to get over that. But everything's fine with my personal life too now. Best of all, of course, is the fact that I've managed to give up smoking this year. I didn't feel too good for the first few weeks but that's all worn off now. I stuck with my new regime and now I feel fitter that I have for ages.


2. Try to guess the meaning of the Previous Phrasal Verbs



3. Let's talk!
Tell us a moment in your life that you had to make changes using the previous Phrasal Verbs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)