Compound Nouns (Vocabulary)

1. Fill in each space with an appropiare word from the list, forming a compound noun.

word      table      worker      washing      piece     meal      time     wife     book    up     electrical     washer     computer     sitter     house


A house husband

My wife is a social 1.____ and she works for the local council and has a very busy time 2.____ every day. She obviously can't be in full-3._____ work and be a house 4.______ at the same time. This means I've been a 5.______ husband for mant years now, because my job as a text 6._____ writer for students of English can be done from home working on a personal 7._____. As we can't afford a baby-8.____ I'm in charge of the baby as well as having to do all the cooking and washing-9.____. My job is made much easier by the variety of 10.____ goods available - I just put all the dirty plates in the dish 11.____ and the baby's clothes in the 12.____ machine and away I go, I'm free to produce yet another master 13.______ for students on my 14.______ processor. When my wife comes home at three she has a ready-made 15.____ to look forward to. Not bad, eh?



2.  Complete the sentences below with one of the following compound nouns.

print-out     setback     hold-up     getaway     check-outs     break-out     break-in     break-up     take-over     take-away    take-off     check-in

  • Since the ________ we've had all our locks changed.
  • The recent crime figures are a major ________ for law and order.
  • There was a ________ on the motorway this morning.
  • The thieves made their _________ through a downstairs window.
  • Why can't they have more ________ open so customers don't have to wait?
  • There was a mass _______ last night from Winston prison.
  • The ________ will have serious consequence for the children.
  • Iraq's attempted _________ of Kuwait led to American intervention.
  • Let's have a _________ tonight - I can't be bothered to cook.
  • What time's _________? It says 19.10 on the ticket. I don't want to miss my flight.
  • I'd give you a ________ of John's e-mail message, but my printer's out of order.
  • Let's take these suitcase to the ________ and then we can go through passport control.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)