Confessions (Second Conditional)

Confessions




Four friends, Ross, Phoebe, Monica and Chandler were sitting in a coffee bar and chatting, when the subject of their own faults came up in conversation.    ‘I must admit,’ said Ross, ‘I sometimes use the company’s phone for private calls and I often steal office stationery from work when the boss isn’t looking. If my boss found out, I’d get fired.’    ‘Well, I guess my greatest fault,’ Phoebe told the group, ‘is that I gamble too much. I play online poker and I buy lottery tickets. My parents are really strict, and if they heard about it, I’d be in real trouble.    ‘I don’t gamble,’ Monica said, ‘but I’d say that my worst fault is my drinking habit. I drink far too much.  If it ever got outI’d lose my job.’    Chandler had been silent during the conversation, so Monica turned and asked him, ‘Well, Chandler, do you have any faults, then?’    ‘Oh, yes,’ said Chandler, ‘and mine is worse than any of yours. My greatest fault is that I just can’t keep a secret.’




1. In the previous text you can find some sentences in 2nd conditional. Write them down. (Remember that Conditionals have IF)







2. Now explain the structure. (Tip: 'd = would)




3. When you have it, try to explain the use of the 2nd Conditional.





4. What does Ross do at work? What happens with his boss?





5. What's Phoebe's problem? What happens with her parents?




6.  What happens if Monica continues drinking?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)