Phrasal Verbs (Money: buying and selling)



- Lily: "That leather bag's 60€. Shall I see if he'll   sell it cheaper?"
- Sandy: "Yes, why don't you try and beat him down to 40€?"







- Jill: "Did you manage to get that car you wanted for a lower price?"
-Tom: "Yes, the dealer knocked 15% off the price because I offered to pay cash."






-Nora: "This is a nice old vase. Is it an antique?"
- Beryl: "Yes, it is, but I pick it up for 30$. It was a real bargain."








- Fran: "It would be nice to buy something for our teacher now that the course is endind."
- Paco: "Yes, we should club together and get her some flowers or a nice gift."





-Larry: "I'm not going to buy stuff at those gift shop again. They really ripped me off last time."
- Sue: "Yes, a lot of those tourist shops are a real rip-off. You can get the same things in ordinary shops for half price."







- Martin: "Shall we buy the game here? It's a big store."
- Pilar: "No, let's shop around a bit. They may be cheaper somewhere else."






-Aaron: "Mick is selling Madonna's autograph for $20. Should I buy it?"
-Ritchie: "If I were you, I'd snap it up. It could become very valuable in the future."









- Meg: "The car failed its annual test yesterday. Two of the tyres are badly worn."
- Simon: "Oh,no! Now we have to fork out  for two new ones!






1. Try to guess the meaning of the phrasal verb above related with buying and selling.








2. Fill the gaps with appropriate verbs from the previous ones:


  • He wanted $2000 for his old car but I managed to ______________ him down to $1800.
  • We're going to have to _____________ out a lot of money this year; the kitchen needs a new floor and the roof needs to be repaired.
  • I _______________ up a nice old book about my village in a second-hand bookshop. It was only two pounds.
  • It's a good idea to _____________ around before you buy a new car.

3. Correct the mistakes with the phrasal verbs in these sentences. There is one mistake in each sentence.
  • We were ripped out in that restaurant. They charged us for four desserts when we only had two.
  • When we offered me his tennis racket for only 10€ I snapped it off because it was still excellent condition.
  • We had to fork for a new washing machine because our old one broke down.
  • It's a good idea to club around and buy a bigger present.

4. Time for writing and speaking!!
Now it's time that you use these new phrasal verbs. You can write or tell your teacher (or me) about situations that you have had related with buying and selling some products. Don't forget to use the phrasal verbs. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)