Using Connectors (Use of English Advanced)

1. Choose a word from the box to complete each sentence in a logical way.
   
although    because    provided     unless         
until     whatever     whenever    whereas   

  • Nina is good at maths, ______________ her twin brother is better at languages.
  • Dan will go to university next year _______________ he passes al his exams.
  • I'll do _______________ you want me to do.
  • You'll never be able to afford a car like that- ______________ you win the lottery.
  • Sally enjoys her work, ______________ she doesn't get very much free time. 
  • It was not ______________ I got on the train that I realised I'd left my laptop at home. 
  • I'm really lucky - I can take a coffee break _____________ I want one. 
  • I like my desk _____________ I have a very good view of the sea while I'm working.

2. Some connectors are made up of more than one word. Choose the correct phrase from the box to complete each sentence.


as if        as long as         as soon as        despite the fact that        even though       
in accordance with       in case       in order to        no sooner        so as not to
  1. You must fill in the form ________________ the instructions on the opposite page.
  2. Ursula has taken on extra work ________________ earn enough money for a holiday.
  3. My father said I could go to the party ________________ I'm home by midnight.
  4. I managed to complete the essay on time _______________ I was suffering from a heavy cold.
  5. We closed the door very quietly ________________ wake the baby.
  6. You'd better take a notebook with you ________________ you want to write something down.
  7. Simon looks ________________ he didn't sleep a wink last night.
  8. Please call me ________________ you get this message.
  9. I feel I know him quite well _________________ we've only met a few times.
  10. ________________ had we left the house than the rain started. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)