Problem tenses (Use of English Advanced)

1. Finish each of the following sentences in such a way that it is as similar in meaning as possible to the sentence before it.

  • Most of us became salesmen when we left university
Most of us have...

  • Our current manager started working here ten years ago.
Our current manager has...
  •  I haven't heard from Sarah for a couple of months.
The last...

  • I used to find computers difficult before I started taking these lessons.
Since...
  •  Michael Owen is the best player I've seen so far in this competition.
I've yet...

2. Fill each of the gaps with a suitable word or phrase:

  • What__________________ doing with yourself over the last couple of days?
  • I ____________________ to fix the engine all morning, but finally had to admit defeat.
  • Next summer, I ____________________ living here for ten years.
  • He claimed ___________________ meaning to tell me about it but somehow forgot.
  • I was ______________________ asking her if she'd like to como to the races on Saturday.

3. Underline the correct option:
  • Look out! We're hitting/ going to hit the car in front!
  • At this rate, we're going to be/ being exhausted by the time we finish.
  • The minute the train comes to a /will come to a standstill, get on and try to find a seat.
  • By December, he'll be working/ have been working there for eighteen months.
  • We were just about leaving/ to leave the house when Sue called.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)