Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple Exercises

1. Look at each pair of sentences. Mark S if their meaning is the same or D if it is different.

  • Have you ever ridden a motorbike?
Have you ridden a motorbike recently?

  • She's worked here since the summer
She didn't work here after the summer
  •  I've been to London twice this year.
I've just come back from London.

  • This is the most expensive holiday I've ever had.
I've never had such an expensive holiday before.
  •  My father hasn't been to the theatre for ten years.
My father didn't go to the theatre ten years ago.


2. A journalist is interviewing a politician on a radio programme. Choose the correct form .
Interviewer: Mrs Blake, you want people to vote for you again. Our listeners want to know why.
Politician: I think our achievements are very clear.
I: Well, not always. For example, under your government unemployement has risen/ rose by ten per cent.
P: Yes, but you have to look at the international context. The price of oil has increased/ increased to over forty euros last year and there has been/ was a world recession this year.
I: But now the price of oil has fallen/ fell again.
P: Yes, the future looks very good. Since we came to power we have cut/ cut taxes three times. The last government has increased/ increased them.
I: The opposition says that services have suffered/ suffered. What about the health system? Several hospitals have closed/ closed recently.
P: Yes, but people can see now that we have introduced/ introduced big improvements. Those hospitals have been/ were old. We have invested/invested in new and better hospitals.
I: But people are waiting longer for their operations.
P: No, that's not correct. Patients waited longer before we came to power. The latest stadistics show that we have reduced/ reduced the number of people waiting for operations. 
I: What about your record on education?
P: Standards were terrible under the last government. When we have introduced/ introduced the new education law, the results improved very quickly.
I: Thank you Mrs Blake. Now the news... 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)