Present Perfect Continuous vs. Present Perfect Simple (Explanation & Extra Exercise)

Learning to play the guitar

I've been learning to play the guitar since Christmas because my parents bought me one as a present. I've always wanted to be in a band but I can't sing. My teacher has been very patient. I started with a few simple chords and now I can play one song. My fingers hurt when I practise too long. Today I've been practising since lunch and I think I'll have to stop soon. My parents have been listening to me and I think they want me to stop as well!



1. Which is the difference between the use of Present Perfect Simple and Present Perfect Continuous?




2. Which is difference in their structures?





3. Complete the sentences with appropriate verbs, using the same one for each sentence in the pair. Use the Present Perfect Simple in one sentence and the Present Perfect Continuous in the other.
disappear       give        move        put        read       stay       stop      swim


  • Maria Harris _________ in a rented flat since returning to Liverpool.
We_________ at this hotel a couple of times before.
  •  With their win yesterday, Italy ________ into second place in the table.
As house prices in the cities have risen, people _________ into the countryside.

  • All day, the police_________ motorists to question them about the accident.
Good, the noise _________. I can start concentrating on my work again.
  •  I _________ any of Dicken's novels.
I __________ this book on astrophysics for hours and I'm still only on page 6.

  • Dr Fletcher _________ the same lecture to students for the last ten years.
Mr Goldman __________ nearly a million pounds to the charity this year.
  •  I did 20 lenghts of the pool today. I ________ that far since I was at school.
I _________ and I feel exhausted.

  • In a recent years, Brazilian companies ________ a lot of money into developing advanced technology.
The South African coal company _________ the Calverton Mine up for sale. 
  •  An important file ________ from my office.
Plants and vegetables ________ from my garden since we had new neighbours.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)