Idioms (Knowing and Understanding)

Knowing

  • He knows the system inside out.
  • When it comes to geography, he certainly knows his stuff.
  • That book title has a familiar ring to it. I think I read it a long time ago.
  • I'm not sure if I know her, but the name rings a bell.

Not Knowing

  • I haven't got/ don't have a clue how to use this camera.
  • I haven't got/ don't have the faintest idea where she lives.
  • I haven't got/ don't have the foggiest idea what this switch is for.
  • I can't for the life of me remember her first name.
  • I'm a bit out of touch with computers these days.
  • I'm sorry, that name doesn't ring any bells with me.

1. Try to guess the meaning of the previous Idioms.



Coming to conclusions

  • I didn't actually know where you were staying, but Mark said you were with a relative. So I put two and two together and guessed it was that aunt of yours in Manchester.
  • I'm sorry, I got the wrong end of the stick. I thought you were complaining about something.

2. Try to guess the meaning of the previous Idioms.




3. Write sentences that mean the opposite of these sentences. Use idioms and make any other necessary changes.
  • Yes, that name is very familiar to me. I think I've met her several times.
  • I'm really up to date with TV soap operas these days. I watch them every day.
  • She knows absolutely nothing when it comes to the history of this area.
  • I correctly interpreted what she was trying to tell me and it solved a big problem.
  • No, sorry, her name means nothing to me. I may have met her, I just can't remember.

4. Let's write or speak!
Make a role playing game in which someone ask to other person about some information and use the previous Idioms to answer the questions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)