-ing or to infinitive (Exercises)

1. Complete the following conversation using the verbs in brackets with to infinitive or -ing.

Lucas: I've decided _________(leave) my job next month.

Susan: But I thought you enjoyed _________(work) in an architect's office.

Lucas: Oh, I do. But I feel like ________(do) something different for a while.

Susan: Didn't you promise _________(stay) there at least two years?

Lucas: Yes, I di but I just can't stand ________(work) with those people. One of them refuses _______(stop) talking while she works, another one keeps _________(sing) to himself. And then there's a man who also ________(tell) awful jokes all the time, which he always gets wrong. I detest _________(work) with all that noise around me.

Susan: It sounds quite a cheerful place to me. Can't you manage _________(ignore) them and get on with your work?

Lucas: No, I can't. I just can't carry on ________(go) there every day. I 'm hoping ________(go) abroad for a bit.

Susan: Well, good luck.


2. Choose the correct form of the verb.

  • I noticed the man drop/ dropping/ to drop his ticket so I picked it up for him.
  • The tour guide advised the tourist not take/ taking/ to take too much money out of the hotel with them.
  • I heard the horses come/ coming/ to come down the lane so I waited for them to pass before driving on.
  • The old man said he would love have/ having/ to have the chance to fly in an aeroplane again.
  • Don't make the children come/ coming/ to come  with us to the shops if they don't want to.
  • I saw the boy jump/ jumping/ to jump into the lake before anyone could stop him.
  • I recommend phone/ phoning/ to phone the restaurant before you set off.
  • We were so pleased hear/ hearing/ to hearing that Josh can come to the wedding after all.
  • The school only allows students eat/ eating/ to eat in the dining room.
  • It was my drama teacher who encourgaed me become/ becoming/ to become an actor.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)