Phrasal Verbs (Telephoning)

Conversation on the telephone

Client: Can I speak to Mr Jones, please?
Secretary: I'm afraid Mr Jones is in a meeting.
Client: Ok, I'll call back later.


Client: Could you put me through to Kathryn Parker, please?
Receptionist: May I ask who's calling?
Client: It's David Brown. We were talking a few minutes ago but got cut off.


Sarah: It's a very bad line, isn't it?
Paul: Do you think someone is listening in on our conversation?
Sarah: I think one of the kids must have picked up the extension upstairs. Jan, are you ther? Put the phone down please.


1. Try to guess the meaning of the previous Phrasal Verbs that you can use on a telephone call.



Conversations about telephoning

Husband: Have you found out about costs for repairing the central heating yet?
Wife: No, I phone around a couple of companies.
Husband: And?
Wife: No-one was there so I left messages on the answering machines. But none of them have got back to me yet.
Husband: Well, if they don't ring back soon, you'd better try phoning up a few more places.


Hotel guest: If I want to dial out, do I have to dial anything first?
Receptionist: Yes, dial 9 and wait for the tone. Then you can dial an outside number.


Phillip: Do you find it hard to get through to your parents in Tonga?
Lauren: Not usually, but it's very expensive so I don't call them often. My mum talks to me and then puts my dad on, and he then puts me on to all my brothers and sisters. I can never get them to hang up and I don't want to ring off either.


Husband: I don't feel very well today. I've got a terrible headache.
Wife: Oh dear. You'd better ring in sick then.



2. Try to guess the meaning of the previous Phrasal Verbs related with telephoning.



3. Let's talk!
Create a role conversation on phone between two people in which you use some of the previous Phrasal Verbs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Alexander Graham Bell (Use of English)

Computers (Past Simple vs. Present Perfect Simple)

How the recycling symbol was created (Reading)